Textbookless Readings?

0

Written on 2:23 PM by Christian Olson

I recently read a great article about a college campus that completely switched to E-books. This article fascinates me. I think the greatest quote from the article is:

"We've had all four of the major textbook publishers on campus, and all of them want to get on board because they sense that this is their General Motors moment," said Mr. Hubbard earlier this semester, when I sat down with him in his office. Like the auto giant, he said, publishers must adapt or head for bankruptcy. (4th Paragraph)

What do you think? Is this really a GM moment for them-adapt of go bankrupt. I happen to agree. I think that if the textbook publishers get on board and stop fighting progress, then college can take a step into the 20th Century .

That said, I'm would be wary if my university adopted a new Kindle-like technology that was barely in its Beta stage. I've been in too many classes where the "amazing new software" ends up being a nightmare.

Still, could you imagine paying $50/semester (or less) on books instead of $300? Plus, all your books are neatly organized on your reading device, so you don't have to carry around huge piles of verbage. That sounds amazing to me.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have thoughts on this. What do you think? Is this the new wave or the next laserdisc?

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment